Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Holy Hell on the Amrita campaign trail

While on the Amrita Party campaign trail, Amma took some time to respond to the allegations contained in Gail "Gayatri" Tredwell 's self-published book Holy Hell: a Memoir of Faith, Devotion and Pure Madness.  A native of Australia, Ms. Tredwell spent almost two decades as Amma's closest disciple and effectively her chief of staff before suddenly leaving the Amma organization in 1999. The book alleges that as Amma's organization morphed from a traditional Hindu-based ashram into a multi-national business empire, incredible financial improprieties took place under Amma's nose or with Amma's explicit approval - socking away millions of dollars (or crores of rupees) in foreign bank accounts, little of the donations by western devotees actually going to Amma's charitable activities and failure to file financial records as required by law. Ms. Tredwell also claims that Amma was physically and/or emotionally abusive toward her and other devotees and that sexual abuse took place involving Amma's chief swami and possibly even Amma herself.



Amma's remarks were, of course, made in her native Malayalam. The following is a summary of what the Amrita Party house leader said in the above clip.
Amma’s Response to the Allegations Against the Mata Amritanandamayi Math
[Said by Amma during her Brahmasthanam Festival, Puthur, Palakkad – 22nd February 2014]
“Every year the Ashram [The Mata Amritanandamayi Math] submits its accounts without fail. Every thing is being done as required. Some people are now trying to create misunderstandings, making various claims and misinterpretations. If we had the millions that they allege, I would have already wiped out poverty, both in India and throughout the world. That is my desire. No religion or any specific community donates to the Ashram, nor do we collect any membership fees. What we have is only because of my children’s self-sacrifice.
“This is an organization that does service. It’s an organization that helps people to cultivate service-mindedness. After the earthquake in Gujarat [2001], the Ashram reconstructed three villages there. Now, when the Ashram builds houses for the poor after disasters like the tsunami, even people 85 and 90 years old come from those villages to offer their service.
“Whatever be a person’s level of comprehension, whatever be his perspective—he will believe that alone to be right. This is the way most people think. We have sight, but lack insight—this is the situation we are seeing now. I have never asked anyone to serve me. I am serving everyone. I am simply a mother serving my children. We are not stealing or begging from anyone. Nor is anyone sitting idle; we are working hard and serving others. I only eat once a day. On some days, I may not eat at all. Regardless, every single day, I sit for hours on end and meet the devotees. Back in my room, I read hundreds of letters sent to me from all over the world. There are institutions to manage. I lead the children in meditation and give question-and-answer sessions. Here, no one sits idle. I have no hesitation to do any kind of work.
“I am not blaming anyone. I am just speaking about my children’s self-sacrifice and surrender. Because of that, we have been able to accomplish various things. Many people are making allegations, but none of these people are coming down to help society. That’s sad. Amma doesn’t ask anyone to believe in God. ‘Does God exist?’ is not the question. ‘Do suffering people exist?’ That is the question. ‘How can we relieve their suffering?’ Amma is ready to come forward and wash the feet of anyone who puts in sincere effort to that end.
“This Ashram is a centre of peace. I put my faith in self-surrender, selfless service and love. This is what I am teaching my children. I am an open book. All the rumours that are being spread are untrue. Because certain desires of theirs went unfulfilled, they have started making all sorts of allegations. Someone, somewhere, with an agenda is trying to stir up religious conflicts, making people fight each other, trying to start a war. My prayer is that goodness fills up everyone’s hearts and that everyone’s mind becomes filled with virtue. My children, please pray that you develop the strength to forgive and forget. Within and without, there is agitation. I don’t know where we are headed. May everyone’s mind be filled with only virtuous thoughts.”
Unfortunately, Amma had to take some time away from her mission of love and service to the world (and getting re-elected in Patria) to respond to this garbage. It should be noted that Ms. Tredwell's book is not exactly a best-seller. By one account, she has sold only a few hundred copies, not including pirated editions and unauthorized Malayalam translations in Amma's home Indian state of Kerala.

No comments:

Post a Comment